Pico De Gallo -Weapons Grade!
Not hot enough for you yet? This Pico de Gallo is sure to turn up the heat!! Made with five different fresh hot peppers and a mess of cilantro it could perhaps be the most dangerous thing in your refrigerator! Now, I can eat this stuff with a fork, but I love love love spicy! Of course this isn’t for everyone so feel free to tone it down by moderating, or leaving out some of the peppers. This fresh salsa will keep for about a week, but if you can’t eat it all in that space of time, try vacuum packaging some of it. It should keep for up to a month that way. Salsa isn’t just for chips either! Try a few spoonfuls on the next chicken dish you make. Or if white fish is on the menu soon marinate and bake it in a few cups of Pico. Top a burger with it; hell I’ve even made an omelet with it. It’s very versatile, so get creative!! Look for a few recipes in the coming week that incorporate this deliciously fresh and spicy Pico De Gallo!
Assemble and Combine the Following:
- Four vine ripened tomatoes (about 2 C. diced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored, seeded diced
- 1/2 large red onion (about 2 C. diced)
- 4 -6 Scallions (about 1 C. sliced on the bias)
- 1 Bunch of fresh cilantro (stems removed, about 2 C. chopped)
- 3 Poblano Peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Serano Peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Anaheim Peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Jalapeno peppers seeded, very finely chopped
- 1 Habanero pepper seeded , very finely chopped
- Four TBSP dried cayenne pepper
- Four TBSP dried crushed red pepper
1/4 C. lemon juiceRefrigerate for at least 24 hours. I’ve found that it helps all salsa if you stir the contents a few times (I just shake the storage container every few hours) to ensure that everything is marrying up well.