Kitchen Essentials: Mushroom Stock
- 1 Large Red Onion Cut into sixths, bulb intact
- 5 Large Carrots quartered, skin intact
- 5 Large Celery Ribs, Halved
- 5 Stalks Bok Choy
- 1/4 Lb. each of Cilantro and Parsley
- 2 Lbs. White Mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size, cleaned
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 Qt. Water
- Sautee veggies in 5 Qt. stock pot, until onions are tender, and greens are wilted. About Ten Minutes.
- Cover with water and bring to rapid boil for an ten to fifteen minutes. Reduce Heat.
- Simmer for an hour.
- Strain vegetables from stock pot.
- Add Mushrooms (in increments if using a small stock pot).
- Simmer on low heat until mushrooms are reduced by half, roughly one hour.
- Strain stock through a fine cloth to remove smallest particles.
As with all stock recipes, any vegetables you have on hand will work just fine. This Makes about four quarts, or sixteen cups. Freeze in one to two cup portions in vacuum packages.