Five Alarm Potato and Black Bean Soup
A very spicy Black Bean and Potato Soup. It’s easy to prepare, and stores well frozen or refrigerated. Served in small portions, this soup makes a great compliment to any Mexican/Southwestern meal. It’s hearty, but so spicy it’ll make your ears tingle. Adjust the amount of crushed red pepper to reduce the intensity of the spice.
Assemble the following:
- 1/8 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 CL Garlic (Fine Mince)
- 1/4 C. White Onion (Fine Mince)
- 2 TBSP. White Onion (Coarse Chop)
- 1/4 C. Celery Leaves (Coarse Chop)
- 2 TBSP Celery (Coarse Chop)
- 3 TBSP. Recaito
- 5 TSP. Crushed Dried Red Pepper
- 1 TBSP. Paprika
- 1 TBSP. Dried Marjoram
- 1/4 LB. Russet Potatoes (Peeled, Cubed to 1/4 inch, Par-Boiled and rinsed cold.)
- 2 C. Stewed Tomatoes (Drained)
- 2 Cans Reduced Sodium Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Do this with it:
- Bring 1 1/4 QT water to boil, add 3 TSP red pepper, salt and pepper, marjoram and boil until reduce to 1 QT.
- Heat the Olive Oil and Recaito and add minced garlic, onion, 2 TSP red pepper, and chopped celery leaves. Sauté until tender and aromatic.
- Drain tomatoes, coat in paprika, chop.
- Add sautéed aromatics to water, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and potatoes, coarse chopped onion and celery.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, about thirty minutes.